How Can I Get My Car Accident Police Report?
How can I get my car accident police report?
If you have been in a car accident, there are essential steps to take during and after the accident has occurred. The most crucial step is to ensure that everyone involved in the accident is safe and that any necessary medical efforts have been made. This includes calling 911 to let the dispatcher know if an ambulance is going to be necessary. Even if no immediate health threats can be detected, you should still call the police. Once officers arrived, they will generate a police report. This vital document will contain an account of what happened, witness statements, and a diagram of the accident scene. If you have been involved in a car accident due to another’s negligence, a police report is an essential part of your case.
Remember that the lack of a police report will make your insurance claim incomplete. This can often time result in insurance companies denying responsibility. At the very least, there is room for them to offer a lower or unfair auto accident settlement.
How to obtain a police report
The good news is that obtaining a police report is generally an easy process once submitted. This document should accompany any photographic or video evidence that you have made on your cell phone. Below are several commons ways that you can get the accident report.
- The officers assisting you at the scene of a vehicle, truck, motorcycle, or pedestrian accident should provide you with their business card. If you did not receive or lost this business card, you could always call the city’s police station in which the accident occurred.
- Gather all information you can about the accident to help the officers know which case is yours. This includes the time, date, location, and information for the vehicles involved. In some cases, you may have to leave a voicemail, and this information will allow the police to gather your report when they return your phone call.
- If you are in touch with the wrong police station for some reason, or if they do not have the report, you can always visit your local courthouse. We recommend calling ahead to ensure that you are reaching the correct department and building. Once you arrive, you will likely need to pay a small fee to obtain the report. If you are calling anyway, go ahead and confirm the amounts and what payment types are accepted.
- Should you still are running into obstacles, you can call your insurance company or the other driver’s insurance company. It is essential only to do this after you have already spoken with a local car accident attorney. You can ask your legal representative if they would like you to make the call or if they will have someone from their office do it on your behalf. Remember, it is generally not in your best interest to speak with insurance companies before you have, at the very least, had a personal injury consultation.
- You may also be able to obtain the police report of the accident at your local DMV office. Remember that every state is a little different, so call ahead to save you any unnecessary travel and headaches.
Seek legal counsel
These are the most common ways that people can get the official police report of a car crash. This document is essential for attorneys to help establish who was at fault and build more substantial cases. If you have been in a car crash in or around Salt Lake City, UT, we suggest calling The Law Offices of Roberto Hernandez to speak with a legal professional today.
The information provided on this website is for informational purposes only. This website contains general information relating to areas of law familiar to our firm. The information should not be construed as legal advice or other professional advice. You should not rely on the contents of this website as such. Participation on this website does not create any kind of attorney-client relationship. If you need legal advice or representation, please contact my office, and I would be pleased to discuss your case with you and see if my firm can help.